- Name four safety precautions to be taken when sawing rocks.
- Name two types of diamond saw lubricating and cooling solutions and their purpose.
- Explain how a diamond saw cuts rocks, how it gets dull, and how it can be sharpened.
- Describe the five basic steps to follow in bringing a slab or a flat surface to a polish.
- What important precaution should be taken between each stage of grinding and sanding?
- What is a template, and how is it used?
- What is a cabochon, and what is the usual thickness of the slab from which it is made?
- How do you decide the best angle or position to slab a specimen?
- Explain two methods of wet sanding while shaping and polishing the rock.
- From what material are polishing compounds made? If a scratch appears while polishing, how is it removed?
- Saw, trim, properly dop, and carry a cabochon through the necessary grinding, sanding, and polishing stages to a high gloss or glassy finish.
- Mount the cabochon on some type of backing, such as a stick pin, sweater pin, key ring, etc., with cement.
8 på lager