- Discuss with your instructor the meaning of the motto: “Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints.”
- Know the essentials of proper clothing, shoes, and rain gear to use in backpacking.
- Know the principles in selecting a good quality backpack. In an emergency, what might be used in place of a backpack?
- Know the essential items to be taken on a backpack trip.
- What kind of sleeping bag and pad are best for your camping area? Know at least three kinds of each that are available.
- Know how to pack a pack properly.
- What types of food are best for backpacking? Visit a grocery store and list the foods found there that are suitable for backpacking. With your instructor:
- Prepare a menu for a weekend backpack trip using foods obtained from a grocery store.
- Learn the techniques of measuring, packaging, and labeling backpack foods for your trip.
- Make a trail snack.
- Know the prevention and symptoms of, and the first aid for:
- Heat stroke
- Heat exhaustion
- Snake bite
- Have a first aid kit in your pack and know how to use it.
- According to your weight, what is the maximum number of pounds you should be allowed to carry?
- Know three ways to find direction without a compass. Demonstrate at least two.
- Show the proper way to put on and take off a backpack alone and with a partner.
- Participate in a weekend backpack trip of at least three miles and cook your own meals.
11 på lager